Buy it at Insound!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Drew's Top 25 Songs: Part 1/5

I made this blog a while back, and have just decided it's a good time to finally start using it. After thinking about what could make a decent first post, I came to the conclusion that only a list of my personal favorite songs would work. It's currently 4:30 in the morning, so I think I'll keep this short. I was thinking ten, but I'll do it in two parts. Actually, maybe 25. Yes, that's it. A five post series of my top 25 favorite songs.

So here they are, my top 25 songs.

25. Pixies - "Letter to Memphis"
I was originally going to put "1979" by the Smashing Pumpkins right here; however, I decided to go with this song for a few different reasons. Obviously, this is the song that inspired the name of my blog. I think the selling point for this song with me is the guitar intro and Black's line "'why did you come so far?' and she said, 'trying to get to you. I had to get to you.'" It reminds me of a line from a movie or something. While I love the album this is off of, I still only have it on cassette. I really do need to pick this up on cd.
Buy this album.


24. The Who - "Baba O'Riley"
One of the greatest songs ever written. I was once tempted to buy an Alesis Micron synthesizer just because it came with a pre-programmed voice of the unforgettable sound that is the backbone of this song. If you haven't heard this song, I feel bad for you.
Buy this album.

23. T. Rex - "Jeepster"
I really like T. Rex. Whenever you really like a band, it's hard to choose just one song, which is a problem I've had with a few bands on this list. The guitar line in this is just great, along with the bongos it is one of my favorites to sing along to while driving (alone). And that's why it's on this list.
Buy this album.

22. Blur - "Coffee and TV"
On the list I have sitting here, I wrote down "The Partisan" by Leonard Cohen. Don't get me wrong, I love everything I've heard by Cohen, but "Coffee" gets stuck in my head so often that I had to include it. I am looking back now and amazed that I didn't have a single Blur song on here. Honorable mention goes to "End of a Century."
Buy this album.

21. Daniel Johnston - "Walking the Cow"
A chord organ never sounded so good. I had the pleasure of hearing him play this live with Beaten Awake as his backing band, and it was everything I dreamed it would be. Except that I wasn't asked to join him backstage for a one on one lesson on how to record a chord organ well. But hey, that's why they're called dreams.
Buy this album.

Part 2 coming soon!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Buy it at Insound!