Buy it at Insound!

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Drew's Top 25 Songs: Part 5/5

Almost done. I'm just going to do a quick run-through of these, and try not to go much into why I like them. They should speak for themselves, and I realized that I seem to say the same type of thing about every song.

5. The Beatles - "Golden Slumbers"
What a hard decision this was. The Beatles are the kind of band that I don't feel necessary to mention when people ask, "what do you listen to?" Why is this? Because everybody likes (or should like, for those who--for some reason I cannot comprehend--do not like) them. It's the same reason I don't own any Beatles merchandise. I love the band, but I don't need to wear it on my sleeve, it should already be known. Anyways, it was either this, "A Day in the Life", "Something", "Here, There and Everywhere" or "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." This is one of the hardest decisions I've ever made.
Buy this album.

4. Sonic Youth - "Teen Age Riot"
Best album opener ever. The song is about a dream world of Thurston where J Mascis is the president, which explains the working title for it, "Rock and Roll for President." Another song that made me want to play guitar. I even sacrificed a pack of strings to re-tune one of my guitars to both Lee and Thurston's tunings (GGDDGG and GABDEG, respectively) to try it. I've read that they have played it in standard live a few times. I'd love to find out exactly how they did that, because my interpretations never turn out as nice as I'd like them to.
Buy this album.

3. Modest Mouse - "3rd Planet"
"Think Long" may have gotten me started, but this is what hooked me. Just a solid song. I wanted to quote it for some high school thingy, but couldn't because it said "fuckin' people over." I went with Bright Eyes instead. Nowhere near as good.
Buy this album.

2. Pixies - "Hey"
Oddly enough, these top three songs are by my top three favorite bands. Kinda sad, but makes sense.
Buy this album.

1. Weezer - "Across the Sea"
And to think, I skipped this song on my first few listens through Pinkerton. Geez, I was a stupid kid. I just listened to the Blue Album over again after reading some article claiming that Jimmy Page, Ronnie Wood and Andy Summers voted "Only In Dreams" as their number 8 best guitar track. Who knew? Anyways, I may make an entire post about my favorite Weezer songs. Pathetic, eh?
Buy this album.

Well, that was fun. I hope people like these songs as much as I do. I think I may start writing actual posts starting next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Buy it at Insound!