Buy it at Insound!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

You aren't invisible inside of your car...

...but goddammit, I wish I was.
I have to say that there is a small list of songs that I cannot help but sing along to when they come on and I am alone (or with someone whom I trust enough). Well, there's a ton of songs I sing along to, but there's a smaller list of songs which just shouldn't be sung by me. Whether it's because I change my voice in order to match the recording, or just make fun of the recording, or even more sadly, to reference a scene from some goofy movie.

Melanie - "Brand New Key" buy it!
First off, what a great song. I'm not embarrassed to say I love this song at all. How could anyone be? It's great. Key. Roller skates. What else could you need? The answer: falsetto. For me, at least. To hit those notes. In the end, I sound like I did when my voice changed about seven years ago. Or when I get mad. Although this song doesn't make me mad at all. Rather happy, actually.

Radiohead - "Knives Out" buy it!
I think everybody already knows that Thom Yorke has a unique singing style. That's pretty obvious. I once heard a theory that Radiohead's songs are created by having Jonny make some noise, then have Thom do his signature wail over it. There's certainly way more to it. More than I will ever understand. So...don't get mad at me, AtEase people. This is probably one of my favorite Radiohead songs, and not just because of the Marr-like guitar, but the fact that it gives me something to strain my vocal cords to right before getting into work. And I want you to know, that there's no coming back from that. Just sounding like a frog for the rest of the day.

Queen - "Don't Stop Me Now" buy it!
Any Queen fits into this category, just like with Radiohead. I guess you could say that any song that makes me sing in falsetto is something I deem as embarrassing. There have been countless times that I've tried to figure out how to play piano just so I could play a Queen song to myself.

Justice - "D.A.N.C.E." buy it!
Hot Chip - "Ready for the Floor" buy it!
Okay, I'm putting these two together because they are dance tracks. Obviously, Justice and Hot Chip are very different. I realize that Hot Chip has a regular pop song structure on this song while Justice is just a dance track and all that. But I put these two together because I like to sing loops. "Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it n0w" and "do the D-A-N-C-E, 1-2-3-4-5" seem pretty similar to me, at least when I say them.

Hüsker Dü - "New Day Rising" buy it!
I just shout "new day rising" as loud as possible. Also see Pixies, Modest Mouse, any hardcore band I might be listening to for some reason.

And of course, I recommend you support all of these artists (on vinyl, if at all possible).

So buy some records!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Buy it at Insound!