Buy it at Insound!

Saturday, January 16, 2010

I love Andy Richter.

I really do! I've liked nearly everything I've seen him in. Andy Richter Controls the Universe is one of my favorite shows ever (theme song sung by original Weezer guitarist, Jason Cropper = extra dork points from me), and Andy Barker, P.I. was pretty darn good. Even Quintuplets was alright (if only because Andy was in it). With all of the stuff in the news about Jay Leno proving his love to himself and NBC showing that while they could put 30 Rock on the air, they don't know anything about TV, I feel that Andy Richter is more important than music (for this post's sake).

Conan O'Brien is great. If anybody could get me to watch late night talk shows, it would be him. That is important Adult Swim time (or used to be, I don't even know what their schedule is now, but it probably has a lot of Family Guy), but I am willing to give up cartoons for Conan. He's that good! This is a belief that I thought was pretty common, and in the real world, maybe it is. I wouldn't know though, for I don't look at ratings. While I feel like it's totally lame that NBC is tarnishing Conan's career, I think it's completely awful that NBC got Conan's staff to pack up their entire life and move across the country and is now going to fire them all (I assume, I don't know the details). Conan has money, and now he has way more money (I hear $30 million more, oh my goodness), but I don't think his staff has that same pillow. I'm sure they are getting something, but who knows whether it is something substantial or not. I know Conan stands behind his team, so I'm sure he wouldn't have screwed them over just to make himself richer. But still, boo to you, NBC.

Back to the point of this post! Andy Richter!

Andy Richter has terrible luck when it comes to television. And what's up with that? ...Controls the Universe was really good. Really! And what did the network (Fox?) do to mess with it? It ran the episodes out of order. So when you wonder why the story arcs don't make it sense and get worried that you missed something, it might take a while (took me six years to look up the production codes on wikipedia in excitement over the DVD release). And by that time, you'll probably have already stopped watching due to confusion of storylines, and then BAM no viewers. Then that leads to a canceled series. And there you go.
Quintuplets had 22 episodes (more than ARCtU [19 episodes] and Andy Barker [6 episodes]), and was a pretty basic sitcom. Not as good as CtU, but at least it was a TV show with Andy Richter. And that's always nice.
Most recently there was Andy Barker, P.I. The critics liked it, but it didn't pull in that many viewers and it ended up lasting only four weeks on the air (last two aired later). This aired on NBC, and while I can't say they put the show in a bad time slot (Thurs, 9:30), I can assume they didn't advertise it as much as they should have. I mean, they probably did promote it thoroughly, but since I can't remember--and because NBC has recently proved itself to be labeled as "a bunch of jerks"--one can only assume the channel failed in getting people to watch it's product.

But it's late and I have work in six hours. Let's just hope that Conan, Andy, and staff are able to find something that pays the bills. And also, let's boycott Leno's Tonight Show v.2. Maybe still watch Fallon just to show that it's Jay that is unwanted (or Craig Ferguson, he's always good).

And of course, I just want to note that while all of this is about people in the entertainment business, there are truly horrible things going on in the world. So I recommend sending whatever you can give to (a reliable) relief groups.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting articles on information like this is a great find. It's like finding a treasure. I appreciate how you express your many points and share in your views. Thank you.

11:12 AM, December 12, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Buy it at Insound!